How many of us know what we are actually eating? And, how many of us get scared but still, eat it cuz we have no other choice? How many of us ignore the fact and eat? Yeah, I am going to let you know about Inorganic vs organic food.
Most of you probably are leading a satisfactory life with enough money to provide education for your children, better healthcare, transportation facilities and abundance of technology!
But what about organic food? Everyone is building castles in the air to receive organic food. Because we are living in the age of lack of agriculture and rain and more of global warming and technology! Food is something which makes us live? Why don’t we select a healthier choice then?
The WHO states that about 30,00,000 people around the world are suffering from pesticides from non- organic foods and 2,20,000 people die due to the consumption of non-organic foods.
The bag full of gorgeous veggies and colourful fruits which take you a hard time to carry them home, and cook for your children. Unfortunately, ending up to to be the poison on their plate.
What could be the solution then? Get organic food products!
Before that , we are going to understand more about
- The Dark Side Of Food Industry
- What Are The Harmful Effects Of Inorganic Food?
- What Is Organic Food?
- Why Organic Food Is Expensive?
- If You Can’t Choose Everything Organic, Here Are Some Tips Where You Must Go For Organics.
- Does Washing And Peeling Get Rid Of Pesticides?
- Eat Organic In A Low Budget!
- Take Home Message
1. The Dark Side Of Food Industry
- Genetically, seeds are manipulated in the laboratory. They are grown without getting to be intended by nature. So called genetically engineered seeds and organisms. There have been proven to cause cancer in animal experiments.
- Rats which fed on genetically engineered corns develop kidney and liver toxicity.
- Conventional farmers use chemical fertilizers. But they are made up from fossil fuels to grow vegetables in a large yield. The fruits you buy are sprayed with pesticides and herbicides to kill bugs. They cause ADHD and low IQ in children.
- Even animal products like broiler chickens, beef are injected with antibiotics, hormones and pesticides for further development.
- Lastly, eggs are produced without the mating of male and female chicken but using estrogens.
2. What Are The Harmful Effects Of Inorganic Food?
- Linked With Cancers- Use of pesticides in inorganic vegetables even in lower doses can cause cancers like breast cancer, prostate cancer and breast development in man.
- Children Are Most Vulnerable- exposure to pesticides may damage the immune system and this cause poor development, developmental delays and ADHD.
- Harmful To Pregnant Women And Foetus- Food is something which should be really cared about for mother and a child! The pesticide buildup in the 9 month period can cause delayed pregnancy. It can also pass through breast milk which can cause delayed milestones.
Therefore, we should definitely get a healthy solution to it!
3. What Is Organic Food?
- In simple words, organic foods are the foods produced buying which is without the use of SYNTHETIC fertilizers and pesticides.
- To clarify, organic farmers also use fertilizer and
- pesticides. But, they are derived from natural sources and not synthetically made toxins to hurt our health.
Materials Which Are Not Permitted In Organic Farming
- Firstly, synthetic fertilizers
- Secondly, sewage sludge as fertilizer
- Irradiation to preserve food or eliminate insects
- Genetic engineering used to improve the crop yields and pest resistance
- Antibiotics and growth hormones
Organic farming Practices Are
- Predatory animals to catch insects which eats vegetables
- Plant waste left on fields to improve soil quality
- Plant rotation to preserve soil quality
- Natural pesticides like neem leaf and salt spray.
- Organic foods for animals
- Proper Vaccinations to prevent diseases.
- Last but not least, aving healthy living conditions and access to outdoors.
3. Is Organic Food Healthier?
Nature, it turns out gives with one hand and take with the other. That seems to be the case of organic food.
According to the recent study by the British Journal Of Nutrition have revealed the truth.
Covering 343 individual studies looking into organic food, they have concluded that organic food might boost the level of antioxidants intake by 40%.
4. Why Organic Food Is Expensive?
Finally to the must-ask but wrongly asked question in your mind! The right question is “Why inorganic vegetables are so economical and cheaper ?”
Today, the services which pick up newspaper waste from our home are at 8 rupees per kilo. So how could we get a kilo of anything cheaper than this!
Many of us have a common misconception that organic is only for the rich! No, not at all! Organic food is less efficient and has a lower yield so it costs on the rate and not cheaper than conventionally grown veggies.
5. If You Can’t Choose Everything, Here Are Some Tips Where You Must Go For Organic Food.
Buy Organic Animal Products- Since inorganic meat is the main reasons for causing early puberty, diabetes and heart-related diseases.
Organic Milk – Don’t go for canned milk or packet milk. Additionally, results of 2016 European study shows that organic milk is higher in Omega 3 fatty acids compared to the inorganic milk.
According to the environmental working group, the list of vegetables are tested to have the most pesticide exposure. So, you should definitely go for the organics!
- Sweet bell peppers
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Hot peppers/ chillies
- Summer squash
The following list of vegetables has low exposure to pesticides.
- Sweet corn
- Eggplant or brinjal
- Sweet potatoes
- Frozen sweet peas
6. Does Washing And Peeling Get Rid Of Pesticides?
- According to CSE, washing vegetables with saltwater remove the pesticide residue on their surface.
- Almost 75 to 80 per cent of pesticides are removed by cold water washing like grapes, apples, mangoes. Additionally, tomatoes, brinjal, okra need 2-3 items of washing.
- Secondly, green leafy vegetables must be washed thoroughly. Normal processes like washing, blanching and cooking remove the pesticide residues.
- Peeling the skin of fruits and vegetables and
- therefore helps to reduce systemic and contact pesticide residue present in the surface area of groceries.
They are purely filtered with harmful toxins like hexane and all the nutrients are extracted to make them appear impressive. Therefore, get the healthy cold-pressed oils at cheapest price in which the oil seeds are pressed at room temperature without extracting the nutrients!
- Very importantly, don’t forget about the animal products. They are the major sources of contamination of pesticides residue.
- Pressure cooking frying and baking will remove the pesticide residue in fat tissues.
- Boiling the milk at elevated temperatures also helps to remove the pesticides residues.
- And yes! One of the most toxic elements in the world is arsenic. It is found in rice in huge quantities. And we should be real concern about this!
- There are several studies which have concluded that rice accumulates most acidic than other food crops.
- Let’s not take more time to exchange the inorganic arsenic, white, polished rice into our organic, 10x healthy, traditional millets which makes your money and life worth!
7. Eat Organic Food In A Low Budget!
- Go For The Seasonal Vegetables– Firstly, fruits and vegetables brought and the season is cheaper than choosing the non- seasonal ones.
- Compare The Prices- Secondly, it’s better to compare the prices of one shop to the other or online so that you could get a better knowledge of the prices.
- Shop Local- Thirdly, buy organic fruits and vegetables at your local farmer’s markets at open-air street. It will be better to choose the high produce, doubted supermarkets!
- Join With Your Friends – The best idea I came across to grow together with a healthy society! Discuss with your friends and purchase shares in the bulk from the local known farm!
- Don’t get cheated – Organic will not be always organic since they are good marketing strategies to cover the customers even they are bought at the air- conditioned, first-class supermarkets. Wonder how could they have all the vegetables for the whole year and in high yield? So, always choose a well-known trustworthy shop in your local neighbourhood.
To conclude, most of us have an accumulation of toxins in our body due to the exposure of pesticides over years.
So now, you should never take the time to change yourselves because you will end up in forgetting it. Keep in mind about the dirty dozen and clean 15!
But, if you are working and don’t have to shop, choose the best organic shop online! This organic food store is always near you to deliver the food products to your doorstep within the date!
We should all make a difference together by growing our own vegetables, buying it from local farmers, know your farmer and know your food cuz we are what we eat!
It is a small shop in Perungudi. It has reasonable stock and varieties of cold pressed organic edible oil. The quality is found to be good. The shop is inside a complex.