Well, you don’t have to be a Taj hotel chef to make your baby your own food instead of ceralac which contains sugars. Studies reveals that consumption of these free sugars including sucrose ( particularly prevelant in processed foods ) and health hazards including obesity and tooth decay.
A diet rich in sucrose may lead to gout which raises the level of insulin which prevents excretion of uric acid in the body. Won’t it be nice to make your own food for your own cute little one?
Some people prefer to go organic wild,pastured and grass fed whenever possible.Some may be higher in pesticide residue such as apples, peaches, grapes, cucumbers, potatoes and tomatoes. Choosing organic fruits and vegetables is always the best choice you will make.
Always keep in mind new eaters only need a few tablespoons of food,so always keep the food portion small.Look out for common allergens that may not be suitable for your baby.Common allergens include egg, peanuts, wheat ,soyabeans and fish.
Don’t ever force the food for your baby.Create a positive environment and make them have their own time while eating. Don’t forget to have fun.
Porridges are always the best meal for a baby from 6 months to 1 year. They taste delicious, are made easier to swallow, can be made in different varieties and are more healthier.
Today, let’s dive straight into 10 interesting recipes of porridges that your little kid will love and wants for more.
1. Sathumaavu ( Natural health mix)
- Sathumaavu always wins the first place in the list for every Indian moms.I even have friends today bringing sathumaavu to college and drinking at intervals.
- Children fall in love with sathumaavu. Besides being tastier, Sathumaavu have numerous health benefits. You can add many grains you want to.They are made from
- finger millet(ragi),
- pearl millet( kambu),
- red rice,
- wheat (sambha kodhumai), jowar( cholam),
- green gram( paasi payiru),
- Soya beans, corn (makka cholam), Roasted Bengal gram( pottukadalai), Foxtail millet( thinai),
- horse gram ( kollu) ,
- almonds and
2. Sweet Potato Porridge
This healthy sweet potato porridge made with sweet potatoes and raisins.They are rich in fiber and vitamins and adding sweet potatoes is a tasty choice. They promote that help improve vision and have cancer fighting properties.They are sweet enough and doesn’t require any artificial sweetener.
- Rice – 1 cup
- Sweet Potatoes – 4
- Milk as required.
- Add the boiled rice and sweet potatoes in a bowl. Mash it well.
- Add milk as required.
- Serve the baby.
3. Oats And Banana Porridge
- Cooking oats – 2 tablespoon
- Bananas. -2 chopped
- Cow’s milk- 1 cup
- Water. -1/2 cup
- Boil cow’s milk in a saucepan.
- Take two tablespoon of oats in another saucepan and and half cup of water to it. Let them cook in a medium flame for 3 minutes until the oats are cooked. Stir it continuously to avoid sticking to each other.
- Once,the oats are cooked,add a cup of milk to the cooked oats and boil for 4 minutes until it becomes thick.
- Turn off the flame and allow the porridge to cook down. Don’t add cow’s milk for is your baby is less than one year!
- Blend the chopped bananas well to a smooth paste and mix them with the cooked oats. Serve the tasty porridge warm to your kid.
5. Rice And Moong Dal Porridge
Moong dal is loaded with proteins and help in muscle development of the baby.
Parboiled rice – 2 tbsp
Moong dal. – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds. – pinch
Rice and moong dal powder- 2 tbsp
Water. – 1.5 cups
Ghee. – 1/4 tsp
- Roast the moong dal and rice until they become puffy.
- Add cumin powder if you want.This is optional.
- Grind the roasted grains into fine powder.
- Add ghee to saucepan.
- Add moongdal,ground rice and water.
Stir them well for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Feed it at room temperature.
6. Apple And Banana Porridge
Rich in dietery fibres,they help ease the digestive process to prevent constipation and diarrhea.
- Cereal powder – 2 tbsp
- Apple. – 1,small sized
- Cow’s milk. -1/2 cup.
- Water. – 1 cup
- Make the bananas and apples into puree and some water.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan.
- After heating,Cool the milk and add the thick fruit puree to it.
- Cook for three more minutes.
- Feed the porridge after its cools down.
7. Vegetable Oats Porridge
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 cup cabbage
- 1/4 cup carrots
- 1/4 cup oats
- Heat oil in a pan and saute cabbage and carrots in it.Add oats and saute it.
- Now add the vegetable stock and let them boil.Add salt and pepper to taste.
- You can add peppermint leaves for a minty flavour.
8. Ragi Porridge
- 2 tbsp of ragi flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp of powdered jaggery
- Milk as required
- Water as required
- Heat water to medium flame and add jaggery powder to it. Bring them to a boil until the jaggery heats completely.
- Add ragi flour to the pan and stir continuously since it gets no lump.
- Add milk as required and cook until the porridge achieves thick consistency.
- Turn off the flame and make the porridge to cool down completely. Serve the baby.
9. Mango oatmeal
- 3 tablespoon of oats
- 1 cup of mango pulp
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon powder
- Heat the pan and add the milk.Add the instant oats and store continuously.
- After cooked,allow it to cool down.
- Add mango pulp,add sugar and cinnamon powder.Mix them well.
- Serve it to the baby.
10. Green Gram Porridge
- Green gram- 1/4 cup
- Cardomom – 1/8 tsp
- Water as required
- Jaggery required- 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Wash and soak green gram overnight. Drain the water the next morning and leave them to pressure cook for 3-4 whistles in a medium flame.
- After grind them into a smooth paste. Add rice if you need. Add water if required. Add a tbsp of ghee and serve it your little kid.