There are 3 popular methods of producing cooking oil in today’s India:
- Solvent Based Extraction
- Rotary Based Extraction
- Cold Pressed or Wood Pressed Extraction
1. Solvent Based Extraction
Very cost effective method to extract oil but contains toxic and less nutrition and no live enzymes at all.
2. Rotary Based Extraction
Extracting the oil seeds by pressing with heat (stone or machine). In other words, high temperature is used to extract the oil that damages the micro-ingredients and fatty acids which leads to adulterating the properties of the cooking oil.
The very next step after the extraction process is a refining process. Obviously, refining involves a lot of procedures, refining tends to destroy the elements and the wholesomeness.
During the refining process, preservatives, chemicals and essence are added to keep the oil from going rancid so that the products will have a longer shelf life.
3. Cold Pressed or Wood Pressed Extraction
This is a very traditional method which includes extracting the oils by pressing and grinding seeds with the use of heavy wooden handle (to maintain the low temperatures).
Cold pressed as the name implies which does not heat up the oil seeds. Of all these oils extraction methods, the cold pressed method is an organic way of oil extraction.
In other words, cold pressed oils are the most precious because of their method of making, nutritional value and healthy oriented benefits.
Cold Pressed Oil said to be the best because oils are produced at low temperatures with the traditional contraptions called “Ghani”.
Ghani is nothing but a long cylindrical chamber made from the wood with pestle placed at the centre.
Sesame oil seeds / Groundnuts poured into the ghani & gradually crushed by the rotating pestle until most of the oil comes out through the opening at the base.
Which oil is best for cooking?
- Our ancient/ traditional texts prove that the original cold pressed oil do not preheat or heat up the oil seeds in the process of crushing or grinding them.
- It is proven that the cold pressed oils contains anti oxidants, micro nutrients, live enzymes and fatty acids in their pure forms.
- Cold pressed oils are known to be the healthiest way to cook food which contains adequate amounts of healthy nutrients that are easily absorbed by our human body.
- In other words, Cold pressed oils naturally keep up the more nutrients than oils made in a Solvent-Based and Rotary method.